Our crews are at work at our final landscaping project of the 2015 season! They are planting Boxwood, holly, azaleas, perennials (which are dormant this time of year, so they aren’t visible), cherry trees, redbud, and hydrangea in Spotswood, NJ.
Have you thought about your landscaping plans for Spring 2016? This is a great time of year to get ideas, designs and estimates! Call Custom Landscaping at 732-238-8330!
The landscape design team at Custom Landscaping and Lawn Care specializes in selecting plants that will compliment each other and the overall look of your home. The landscaping below from Matawan, NJ features pink astilbe, Black-eyed Susan, boxwood hedge, hydrangea and hostas in a river washed fieldstone garden wall.
With the increasing popularity of above-ground swimming pools, Custom Landscaping and Lawn Care has helped many of our clients dress up the surrounding areas. The picture below, taken in July 2015 at a home in East Brunswick, demonstrates how some stone and pavers can make a backyard pool even more inviting!
Paver patios are becoming more and more popular these days due to their high appeal. Many people are ridding of the concrete slab patios to install the better paver patio. Today we are going to go over the reasons why paver patios are getting so much attention.
Advantages of a Paver Patio
- Lower Material & Installation Cost – The cost of concrete pavers are much less than other type of paving products since they are manufactured with machines as compared to other naturally occurring products. Concrete pavers are usually less expensive than clay pavers, granite pavers or sandstone pavers. When considering maintenance and replacement costs, concrete pavers are an economical long-term alternative to other types of paving options. For small and simple projects cost can be lowered even by a home owner installing the paver patio themselves.
- Varieties of Shapes and Colors – Concrete pavers come in an endless number of styles and color possibilities, giving you many options for your paver patio. Concrete pavers are manufactured to look like natural paving materials. Some of the different styles include stone-like pavers and clay brick-like pavers. Light colored pavers offer a cooler surface. The earth tone colors harmonize with any decor, blending naturally into the landscape, and providing elegance, grace, beauty, and functionality. The same project can use two or more different colors of concrete pavers in addition to a mix of different textures.
- More Durability & Flexibility – Concrete pavers are manufactured in a steel mold under exacting factory conditions & tight dimensional tolerances, resulting in a paver patio that is many times stronger than regular poured concrete and more durable than black asphalt. They can withstand years of abuse and last for generations. In addition these interlocking paving units allows for expansion and contraction without producing surface cracks unlike monolithic concrete surfaces and stamped concrete. Each unit has joints that allow for a small amount of movement without cracking.
- Very Easy Maintenance – Paver patios are low-maintenance and offer lower life-cycle costs than any other paving products such as Asphalt, poured concrete, and stamped concrete. Paver patios are easily kept by regular sweeping and occasional rinsing. Tough stains can be removed with a power washer with appropriate cleaning solutions or a simple spot treatment with a brush, cleaning solvent, and water. Pavers can be repaired by lifting the affected area, re-grading and re-compacting the base and bedding sand and reinstalling the same pavers. It is an inexpensive procedure that leaves no unsightly repair patches.
- More Weather Resistant – Paver Patios can be in any climate and can be walked on right after installation. Cracking, which is common with traditional asphalt and concrete pavements, is not a issue with interlocking concrete pavers because of the joints between the pavers. Interlocking concrete pavers are a flexible system and allow for movement, they are almost indestructible, the pavement system moves in unison with the earth’s usual tendency to swell and contract over the long term thus avoiding any serious damage. Wind, rain, and snow won’t break down these bad boys.
Custom Landscaping and Lawn Care offers paver patio installation services, lawn services, and other landscaping services to the Central NJ area in towns such as East Brunswick, South River, Parlin, Morganville, Sayreville, Old Bridge, Matawan, Marlboro, South Brunswick, Monmouth Junction, Aberdeen, North Brunswick, and many more. Contact them today at 732-238-8330, or visit their website.
When it comes to landscape lighting, a little can go a long way. This is due to your eyes needing less light outdoors than they do indoors in order to see light, shadow, and pattern. To plan your outdoor landscape lighting, walk around your yard at night, envision how and when you want to use your spaces, and follow these tips:
Tips On Landscape Lighting
How light is seen during the day is different from how it is seen at night, an important distinction when it comes to lighting pathways and other outdoor spaces. However, certain principles about lighting remain true.
For starters, light has intensity, or quantity emitted, and color. The color of a particular lightbulb can be found on the packaging; it is a number that ranges from 1800 kelvins (K), which is very red in tone, to 7500 K, which is a bluish white.
Whether indoors or outdoors, lighting is generally divided into three layers based on function.
- Overall light which provides illumination for a whole room or space.
- Task lighting which is used for a specific purpose, such as to light a path.
- Accent lighting draws attention to an object or area (usually accomplished with spotlights or floodlights).
A variety of bulbs are suitable for outdoor fixtures. Incandescent bulbs emit pleasing light but have a short life and consume more electricity. Halogen bulbs are more efficient versions of incandescents, typically with a longer life and less energy consumption. Fluorescents are now available in a more pleasing color range, last much longer, and consume less energy. While LED bulbs are more expensive, their costs, which continue to decline, are balanced by their extraordinarily long life and extremely low energy consumption.
Landscape lighting that’s located near a building with electricity can easily be integrated into your home’s wiring system. Solar landscape lighting options exist as well.
Outdoor Lighting Issues –
Outdoor lighting issues differ from those of indoor light. For example, reflection is less an issue outdoors because most surfaces are dark and do not reflect light well. However, position and shielding are more important in outdoor landscape lighting in order to prevent glare.
Glare happens when a light source is too big or too bright. It can be blinding because it reflects directly in people’s eyes. Exterior landscape lighting also needs to be particularly sensitive to direct versus indirect light. Direct outdoor landscape light, such as a downlight outside a side entry door, will brighten mostly the object it is directed at and little of the surroundings. Indirect light reflects on the surrounding surfaces to create a soft wash.
Lighting Placement –
While lighting can be placed virtually anywhere, some spots make it an absolute must. Those include:
Paths: A well-lit path is both welcoming and required, providing illumination that extends hospitality to visitors and makes walking more secure. High illumination isn’t necessary, and downlights will prevent glare. Individually lit pavers can also be used to light a pathway.
Entries: Place lights either to each side of a door or overhead at front, back, and side entry doors.
Driveway: Low-voltage landscape lighting is a good option along a driveway.
Steps: Steps should be lighted for safety; either the risers or the treads can be lit.
Decks or Patios: Lighting can be used to illuminate specific task areas on a deck or patio, such as a kitchen or cooking spot, as well as railings and seating areas. Uplighting, which is harder to accomplish outside, can be used on a deck or patio to send light upward on an umbrella or deck “ceiling” for an indirect effect.
Gazebos, Pergolas, or Trellises: Lighting is a good way to highlight an interesting built element in the outdoor landscape.
Architectural Features: Outdoor landscape lighting can be used to highlight a wall, for example, by washing it or grazing it. When a wide beam of light is aimed at a wall from a few feet away, it creates a wall wash. A light used to graze a wall creates interesting highlights and shadows. Both will provide a little accent to nearby plants.
Outdoor Light Pollution –
Too much light, or poorly installed lighting, can create unwanted light pollution that shines into indoor rooms, washes out the view of the stars, creates glare that temporarily blinds people, and wastes energy and money. To avoid light pollution:
- Aim lights carefully. Position lights at night and check their position frequently.
- Shield bulbs. Use fixtures that have reflectors and shielding to concentrate light where you want it.
- Minimize wattage. Higher wattage will create harsher light without improving aesthetics or increasing safety. Low-wattage bulbs are often enough to provide illumination.
- Control the light. Separately zoned lights with timers, controls, dimmers, or motion sensors will turn on lights only when needed or enable them to be turned down as necessary.
Custom Landscaping and Lawn Care offers summer lawn maintenance services and many other lawn services to the Central NJ area in towns such as East Brunswick, South River, Parlin, Morganville, Sayreville, Old Bridge, Matawan, Marlboro, South Brunswick, and many more. Contact them today at 732-238-8330, or visit their website.
Landscaping can be great for any property. Not only does it make a home look nice, but it also increases property value and helps save money on energy. But with all of the landscaping companies out there, how do you know which to choose? Below are some tips on choosing the best landscaping company:
Central NJ Landscaping Company
- Know your goals – Aside from aesthetics, there are many other reasons why people hire a landscaping company. Some are to create outdoor recreation areas such as swimming pools, fountains and gazebos, attracting birds, attracting customers or tenants, or simply to create a place of respite and relaxation after a stressful day at the office. Once you know your goals, match these with the right landscaping company. When you are ready to invest your time and money on this project, choose a landscaping company who will sit down with you and transform your goals and ideas into solid landscape plans.
- Deal only with experienced and professional landscaping companies – There are actually different types of contractors: small and independent contractors and large design/build firms offering comprehensive landscaping design services. Professional landscaping companies can also be categorized as lawn care companies, landscaping design firms and landscaping maintenance firms. Whatever your goals are, deal only with skilled professionals rather than inexperienced landscaping companies. Here is a checklist with some points to consider when making your choice:
- Check the company’s record by getting in touch with the Local Business Bureau.
- Make sure that the company or its staff is a member of a professional organization such as the American Society of Landscape Architects or the American Nursery and Landscape Association.
- Longevity is the key. Ask how long they have been in the landscaping business and if they have the proper licensing and certification.
- Ask for a portfolio of past projects. If possible, view them personally.
- Competent and reliable landscaping companies provide guarantees on their work and products. This value-added service is a good point of comparison when choosing which landscaper to hire.
- Another good source of information are latest consumer surveys that rate professional landscaping companies according to prices, confidence and reliability.
- Trust word of mouth – It does not hurt to ask around. Talk to your friends and family or visit your local nursery and ask for referrals. A good reputation is one sure gauge of a landscaping company’s skills and abilities. Be wary of testimonials only contained on the websites of landscaping companies and be sure to talk with at least a few of them directly.
- Do some research and consider your options – Make a list of possible candidates and trim it down as you go along by using the checklist above and mark those which were referred to you. Another major factor is cost. Different companies have different rates. Your goal is to get the best service for the best price. Stay away from landscaping companies with ridiculously cheap rates because more often than not, they will do a lousy job. Most of these firms are desperate for customers, driving them to lower their rates way below the industry standards. Trust only landscaping companies with highly trained experts such as landscape architects and designers.
- Good working relationship – The personal qualities of a professional landscaping company are:
- Good communication skills
Are you comfortable talking to them or just being around him? It is impossible to communicate your ideas, goals, priorities, needs and budget if you feel uneasy just being around them? In other words, you must build a good working relationship with them. Remember, when you hire a landscaping company, these people will be spending a significant amount of time around your house, yourself, and members of your family.
Custom Landscaping and Lawn Care is a landscaping company that offers landscaping services as well as many other lawn services. They serve the Central NJ area in towns such as East Brunswick, North Brunswick, Milltown, Parlin, South Brunswick, Monroe, Old Bridge, Matawan, Marlboro, Sayreville, South Amboy, South River, and many more. Contact them today at (732)238-8330 or visit their website.
Although we are in the middle of winter in the Old Bridge, NJ area, Spring is still around the corner. That means that your lawn will no longer be dormant, and will begin to grow and flourish. Maintaining it with regular lawn mowing and other lawn maintenance procedures is key to having a healthy and green lawn.
Old Bridge NJ Lawn Mowing
During Spring in Old Bridge NJ, the grass will begin to grow fast so lawn mowing will have to become a frequent thing. During flush Spring, it is recommended to mow your lawn as frequent as every 3-5 days. Mowing your lawn so frequently can be quite time consuming, and may not be possible if you’ve got a very busy work and/or family life. This is when you may want to consider hiring an Old Bridge landscaping company for professional lawn mowing and lawn maintenance services. Maintaining a healthy lawn has a bunch of benefits. Not only does a healthy, thick, and green lawn look nice and add property value to your home, but it also functions as an air conditioner, releases oxygen, and absorbs noise.
Custom Landscaping and Lawn Care offers Old Bridge NJ lawn mowing and other landscaping services to the Central NJ area in towns such as East Brunswick, South Brunswick, Parlin, South River, Monroe Township, Old Bridge, South Amboy, Matawan, Marlboro, Sayreville, and many more. Call us today at (732)238-8330, or visit our website.